Regarding Docker setup in layer5io/docs

I was planning to use docker to set up docs locally for one of the issues that I am working on, I went through the README, and it said Running the site locally is simple. Provided you have Docker installed, clone this repo, run make docker, and then visit http://localhost:3000.
But it did not work, and I checked the code in Makefile and was not able to find anything related to docker in it.
Am I missing something, or the work itself is not done yet?

1 Like

@iArchitSharma is there an open pull request on this topic?

@Lee , we don’t have a make command for Layer5 docs using docker, but it’s mentioned that make docker can be used. Thanks for bringing this up, @Persona. I’ll make sure to raise a PR for this ASAP

By the way, the weekly Websites meeting held every Monday is a great place to explore this further, @Persona, and to potentially get a new target for docker in the docs makefile. @iArchitSharma, perhaps, you’ll add this as an agenda item.

Ho thanks a lot @Lee, I will try to attend the meeting.

1 Like

Here now the make docker command will work

I guess there is still something wrong with the nginx conf??

root /site;

location / {
    index index.html index.htm;
}

, so I went inside the container and check it out, so as default nginx is looking for index.html file but there is no index.html in the /site , this are the only files in the directory
root@ae2ab474b9a5:/# ls -l /site
total 4
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 164 Apr 15 12:19 charts
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 132 Apr 15 12:30 cloud
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 18 Apr 15 12:30 css
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 6 Apr 13 15:50 data
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 936 Apr 15 12:19 favicons
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 24 Apr 13 15:50 fonts
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 64 Apr 15 12:19 images
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 72 Apr 15 12:30 js
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 20 Apr 15 12:30 meshmap
-rw-r–r–. 1 root root 13 Apr 15 12:30 robots.txt
drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 308 Apr 15 12:30 webfonts

@Persona Can you please check it now I have fixed the issue also now the port no. for local will be 1313

Ya, it’s working fine now @iArchitSharma. Thanks for the work, helps a lot. :smile:

Just a curious question, how were you able to write such a good Dockerfile so quickly?

I took reference from similar projects :grin: