Helm Based Meshery deployment on EKS with Istio

Hi, I was trying to install Meshery on AWS EKS. We are using Istio as Service Mesh in our cluster. I wanted to know if

• it is possible to install Meshery in a K8s cluster where Istio is already configured

• Is there any documentation explaining the values.yaml file for Meshery Helm Chart

• If I already have a Load Balancer created in my EKS as my Istio Ingress Gateway, Can I use it to host Meshery UI?

1 Like

Hello Kuldeep.

• To ensure, your meshery installation works fine inside the EKS cluster with Istio running as a Service Mesh, you need to override some default helm values.

PROVIDER: Meshery, Providers offer points of extension to users/integrators to deliver enhanced functionality. A specific provider can be enforced in a Meshery instance by passing the name of the provider with the env variable PROVIDER.

MESHERY_SERVER_CALLBACK_URL: <The host on which Meshery is exposed>/api/user/token, The OAuth callback URL used by the Provider for issuing a session.
    Refer Extensibility Providers for more details about providers in Meshery.

• The set of all configurable options for helm are listed in the Helm Readme.

• Here’s an example to set up Meshery behind Istio Gateway. https://github.com/meshery/meshery/blob/master/install/deployment_yamls/istio.yaml.

Hope, this solves your problem. Let us know if you face any difficulties along the path.

2 Likes

@kuldeep, did these answers help? Would any more information be helpful? Let us know if your installation has been successful.

Hi @kuldeep ,
Just checking in to see if you’ve had a chance to complete the installation. Please let us know, if you need any further assistance or have feedback.

Hi team,
I have got a similiar query in which I have my Istio 1.17 version already configured on my cluster. I have deployed meshery using Helm and my installation was successful. However, I don’t see meshery detect the service mesh when I see the meshery UI.

@shaswat_lenka, the likely culprit here is either a lack of deployment of the Meshery Operator or lack of connectivity between it and Meshery Server. It sounds like your scenario is an in-cluster deployment of Meshery in EKS. By default, Meshery Server will deploy Meshery Operator upon connection to each Kubernetes cluster under management.

In terms of where to begin investigating the health of your deployment, I will suggest that the Quick Start with EKS is your best first reference with the Meshery Operator, MeshSync, Broker Troubleshooting Guide as your next resource to reference. Please keep us informed as you step through this guide. Let’s ensure that you have a healthy Meshery deployment.